Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Skate town.

I believe that I've mentioned before that Christmas of 2001 was spent at a skating rink trying to meet ludacris. The "luda-Christmas skate jam," it was called. Ah, those were the days. I kinda glossed over the fact that a roller rink was a good place to spend one of my favorite christmases. I'm a pretty good skater. Can't get the hang of the backwards thing, but one day ima get it.

When I was about 5, my mom got me the fisher-price 123 skates as a present. You know, the ones that connect to your shoes and grow with you. I loved those things. But being little, and living in a dangerous neighborhood, I could only skate in the hall that led out to the porch, the porch, and the front "yard," which was more akin to 2 patches of dirt separated by a staircase to the sidewalk. But I had the time of my life! I actually would skate inside, on the halls that led to the other apartments, until the neighbors (one of whom was my uncle's baby mama) poked their heads out angrily.

One day I decided to see how durable the skates were and drop them off the 3rd floor balcony. The right one broke and my mom tried to superglue it back together... That was the end of that fun.

When I was 8, living in a 2 story house with a more play-friendly neighborhood (one my grandmother still lives in), someone gave me some vintage Mickey Mouse skates. I think it was my aunt Stacey, who is 13 years older than me so I got a lot of her hand me downs. My friends and I rode around the hood on our respective wheels- sometimes I would wear skates on my bike and have a "10 wheeler"- playing tag or doing "stunts." I really miss that time, riding around my brother's school yard, racing and wearing neon bike shorts that I would not be caught dead in these days. But alas, my feet grew, and the skates were handed down, albeit very sadly, to my cousin Shanae.

This year, I had NO EARTHLY IDEA what Kesi was getting me for Christmas. We decided to open our gifts early, cuz that's how we do it, lol. We make our own rules! So Monday night, I was surprised to see a pretty, large, gift wrapped box in the back seat of the car. We get to the house and I take my time opening it- it really was wrapped nicely. And what was it? Roller skates! Apparently I've mentioned them a lot this year. Yay! I immediately put them on and started shimmying back and forth in the kitchen, to my mom's enjoyment. I believe her response was, "oh lord." I love them so! They're all white, so I'm gonna get my brother, master artist he is, to put some graffiti on the side. I'm so headed to skate town! Maybe. If there's not a million kids there the day I wanna go... But these bad boys will definitely be put to use this year!


*btw I got Kesi a custom designed shirt and "the 48 laws of power." he loves and looks great in his shirt, and hasn't put the book down yet. Success!*
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

2 comments:

Rashan Jamal said...

LOL - I never could roller skate well. I couldnt have been an extra in Roll Bounce or ATL...

Glad you guys liked each other's gifts. I wont get mine until the 28th!

Jameil said...

yay for skating!! i love skating! forwards and backwards. i used to win those contests at skate parties. loved it! skates are an awesome gift!