Saturday, August 02, 2008

Standing behind the counter is like being a color commentator at the sport of life. Breezy and I (and others, but definitely us two) lean against the counters and talk about people, who's cute, who we "love," who needs to stop, etc. Often we see someone who warrants a face to face complement. We like to brighten days.

"excuse me, where did you get your jewelry? Its neat." yes, I called this amazon of a woman's jewelry; the woven necklace around her neck and the one matching in style double twisted up her arm; neat. There was no other word to describe it that wouldn't have the possibility of being misinterpreted. Funky? Hot? Wild? All accurate, but no. I was curious, and it was "neat."

"somewhere in Africa." she waved her arm as if to say she was well traveled, with an actual interest in Africa, not one of those women who went just to say they did. She turned a head full of bushy, light brown hair toward her friend who had jumped in to say that another friend had also acquired some African jewelry. "yes but hers were south African. Mine... Somewhere north...."

"are you a writer? You look so familiar." after marveling at her gorgeous hair, wondering while Breezy explained to her that in stores we make Iced Double Shots fresh, if it was "hers," noting her neck and wristwear, then her generous and envious breasts and hips in her white blouse and gauchos (I could not wear so much white at once. First of all, I am a mess. Second, it shows off. She wore it with a confidence that said she was fit and didn't need to prove it), I started to realize I knew this woman.

"yes, I write..."

"what's your name?"

"Terry...."

And that's how I met Terry McMillan. It was almost as cool as the time I met Maya Angelou, except Terry seems more accessible. Everyone calls Ms Angelou, "Ms Angelou." but me and Terry? We go way back to 3:30 old coffee friends.

I tried not to gush too hard. But there was a twinkle. She is everything I aspire to be. An artist. Worldly. Strong. Able to handle adversity in public with grace and honesty. Freakin pretty. Humorous. I got this all in a matter of minutes.

So what did you do today?
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

9 comments:

shani-o said...

Got soaked to the skin in a thunderstorm in Boston.

Just don't marry a gay Jamaican, 'kay, honey?

the joy said...

Yeah apparently there was another tornado in Atlanta...

Unless Kesi has something to tell me, I won't be doing that. He's neither gay nor Jamaican, so...

Adei von K said...

really? "what did you do today?" not meet a famous person! a tiny bit jelly over here... i attended an all spanish catholic mass with my aunt from chile. and i sang the hymns right along with her!

Jazzy said...

lol @ Shani

@ Joy...wow...she is one of the few writers I would definitely gush over!

What did I do today?? Absosmurfly nothing but yack on the phone!

Rashan Jamal said...

What did I do? Talk on the phone for marathon lengths and watch a bunch of Gregory Peck movies on Turner Classic Movies.

LOL @ you brightening days. I'll come see you guys when i need a confidence boost...wait, I never need a confidence boost! LMAO!

La said...

SO jealous, lol. Although I am sure I would barely know what to say to her. Her and Pearl Cleage. Surely I'd be on the floor, lol

La said...

Also, next time I come to town, can I have a work cookie? lol

the joy said...

Adei- that sounds like fun though! I mean I've never stepped foot into a catholic church, but the Spanish gives it a twist.

Diva- I had lil stars in my eyes, lol.

Rashan- yall and this "talking" on the phone. I don't do that. Lol. Yeah your head is big enough. My mom watched the boys from Brazil last night.

La- quite close to bring on the floor, lol my jaw beat me there. And of course you can have a cookie, lol.

(vixenchick) said...

OMG I can't believe you met Terry McMillian! I would have DIED! I love her!