Monday, May 26, 2008

"You must be on your period"

Usually such a remark stated to me would warrant a swift cussing out, but this time was different.

It was about a month ago, and I had walked into starbucks for some reason. It was official that I would be working there within the week. When I mentioned it to Breezy and the other person who was in there, they responded jokingly, "what about the Evil Supervisor?" I responded, with all kinds of poison in my tone, "she can go suck a fat one."

The recoil was amazing. I mean they were simply shocked at what came out of my mouth. I laughed at that. And then Breezy said, "damn, you must be on your period."

"what?!"

"yup. I know my Joy." I mean, he'd never uttered that phrase to anyone in my presence, so I know he doesn't just say it... And he was right.

"I know my Joy." even to my best friends, I don't like to seem predictable. So that phrase bugged me more than his having my menstrual calendar memorized.

More recently, I was riding home with Kesi and discussing some hypothetical wherein I gets disrespected, and what he would do in the situation.

"I wouldn't have to do much."

"why?"

"because I know you, you'd have it handled."

See, Kesi always thinks I'm quick to pop off when I feel disrespected, and he, of course is right. I tend to not wait for someone to jump to my honor; I get loud instead. The thing about it is, this has not occurred in a long time. I mean, some years its been since I've really had to let someone have it (in all seriousness) in his presence.

He also claims that he let's people (like our friends thurm and Jeremy) say things that may set me off just so he can hear my response. Because he "knows" I'll say something crazy.

I guess that's not the same as being predictable, that last one, but its still weird.

I guess there are worse ways for people to respond to me. At least I'm not boring... But I never figured I could be pinned down, even by those that have known me so closely for so long. I'm sure Lauren and Bre could pick out a few of my character responses that I didn't know were so obvious. To have a person say they "know" you is a bit of a jar to your system, or at least mine.

Am I alone in this? Am I just wilding? Lol. I felt like going all maury on them, "you don't know me son!" even though I suppose its a good thing that people are so invested in me and actually care. Yeah? Yeah.

Tomorrow: jury duty! Bah.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

5 comments:

La said...

hahahaha. You're kinda see thru. But I dunno if I count. I've known you since you were 12

Jameil said...

i feel weird, too sometimes when people say that. i get kinda crunk when it's people i haven't known long. i LOVE to yell out "YOU DON'T KNOW ME!!" it's hilarious. but i do kind of like it. it means they're paying attention. it's only weird when they say something i didn't even know i told them or that sounds maybe a little too comfortable.

Adei von K said...

awwwww, they know you!
i say, "oh, so you think you know me now?" whenever drew spits out something VERBATIM, right as i'm abt to say it...

just se it as they listen to and love you :-)

the joy said...

la- i knew you would say that. lmao

jam- and then last night kesi said it again! "i already know your habits." argh! yeah thats weird, not remembering you told a person something.

stace- does he start taking your slang too? kesi puts a -y at the end of his descriptive words, like "this road is mad traffic-y, as joy would say." and i probably would say, too.

Liz Dwyer said...

I don't like to seem predictable either, but I guess it's good to have people know what you like/don't like, so at least they can respect that.

Oh, and my husband likes to say, "Is PMS visiting? I'll just go hide in the closet and not talk till she leaves!" It still annoys me, even though he's been saying that crap to me since 1990!