Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Miami

So I'm gonna give you a brief overview of Miami. Since I've been back in Atlanta reality has been all in my face, between it being cold, having to work, my neighbor being held hostage, Kesi's grandma being in a coma, and my having jury duty, forgetting about it, and oversleeping and missing it. And its only Tuesday.

So Friday, I had such a peaceful flight into Miami, with a layover in Orlando, rather than Tennessee as I first assumed, lol. Turns out spirit air is "your airline for Latin island destinations." so there were tons of Latinos on the flight and I sat next to a lovely PR couple who had no desire to speak English, lol. The sky was beautiful and I was having spiritual moments up there and whatnot.

When on the ground, La and I and our friend Reka met up and ate. We went to this restaurant where the hostess was NOT having a good day. She was not attracting anyone with her timid vocals, lol. But we ate there cuz we were hungry. I had stone crab and a drink called a Blue Miami. They forgot my fries and I had to ask for them. Bah. Overall we had issues everywhere we went with trying to get the waitresses to bring us our checks in a timely manner. But the food tasted great going down. After that we went to Reka's friend's friend's house to get her stuff, cuz she'd been there for a while before we got there. He was such a nice guy and his house was gorgeous! He looked like a surfer but was actually a doctor. We all bonded over our frugality. He had purchased the house for a good price despite the fact that it had once belonged to a Cuban dignitary of some sort. I mentioned that my shorts only cost 3 dollars, lol. We had some champagne while there and toasted to the birthday girl... Oh my God you guys his house was a dream. Big rooms but still homey. Not just a collection of things. He half joked that we could stay there if we'd cook and assist him, lol. If you'd seen this place you would have agreed on the spot.

After that we rested a while and then went for a swim. By this time it was dark and the beach was almost empty. The water was so warm and the waves were calm. Beautiful. Then we jumped in the pool, which others must have done cuz it tasted like salt too. We did flips, and handstands, and just floated and looked at the sky. Peace personified.

After that we rested some more and left to eat again at about 1. Wet Willie's. It was there that I threw up. Reka was at the ATM and I started to get that familiar mouth watery feeling. Luckily the bathroom was only 10 feet away. but someone was in there! Damn it! So I barfed in the corner. All stone crab. Note that I'd eaten 7 hours before. I should have already digested that and everything! Plus, I'd done so much between eating and throwing up. And after I did, I felt fine. Went upstairs and ate, lol. We got prime seats by the stairs and spent the whole time talking about people's hair and outfits. Can't take us nowhere! Lol. Once again the waitress was on some other stuff. Can't say she was slow, cuz she was standing at the next table chit chatting. Boo.

Hotel, sleep, wake, breakfast, beach. Debut of the new hot bathing suit. Love. High tide. Water literally clearing my sinuses and smacking me about the face and ears. La tried tho help me float out a little, which is the only swim basic I haven't mastered. I have to have one big toe on the ground or I panic. It was at this time a wave got both of us real nice, and we decided to just lay out for a while and let the ocean have that one. We returned with a lil color. (here's a lil cosmetology lesson for you kids, I may be mid skinned, but I'm also pale. I have olive undertones. So a lil sun makes me look a lil... Richer. Ya feel me?) after this we were hungry again and headed back down to ocean Ave. This time we went to Lario's, aka bongos owned by everyone's favorite Cubano, Gloria Estefan! Oh my God it was so good. You've never seen 3 girls so focused and quiet. I had shrimp, red beans and rice, and fried plantains. And a yummy mango daiquiri in a souvenir glass. And it was too much to eat! We took a lovely doggie bag and headed out shopping. I got Kesi a shot glass, and la got him one that said "albert's," which is her nickname for him. Btw he laughed and said "I got you Silver!" when he saw it. We also went to this lil spot called Philly in Miami, where I got him a devin tha dude mixtape.

It was after this that I fulfilled one of the promises I made to Lauren on her birthday. I won't say which one, just cuz some people don't need to know that info, but I think you can figure it out if you re-read the list. There's video tape of the event, in which I state, in a squeaky voice while holding Lauren's hand, "I'm a tough bitch!" lol. We walked along trying to find a late dinner because keeping promises sometimes takes 3 hours, and we were hungry again. We decided to eat back at the room cuz Reka had to catch her flight in a few hours.

The next morning we went to the beach one more time to take some more pictures and so I could bottle some sand. I wore the dress kesi's mom got me, accessorized with a new pink express belt. Great for Miami, bad for Atlanta. When I got back I was FREEZING! La and I said our goodbyes and tried not to cry. We're definitely gonna have to go back soon. It was so relaxing! Stace how do you live there and get things done? How do people move away? I miss you Miami!
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

5 comments:

Jazzy said...

good times and lots of good eating...wet willys is still the spot I see.

lol @ you eating directly after puking!

can't wait to see the pics!

Adei von K said...

a bit sore we didn't meet up! saw your pix, y'all did look like 'peace personified'

LOOOOOVE the polka dot dress!!!

i don't know how people can live outside of south florida, real talk. why would you want to??

Rashan Jamal said...

Wait.. did you say hostage?

Did you get tatted up? Tat Tat Tatted Up!

Glad you had lots of fun. Boo for being cold in ATL when you got back, but at least it was warm today.

the joy said...

Diva- soon, I swear. I had to eat. I was hungry before I even threw up! Lol.

Stace- I know right? But we'll be back. Trust. Thanks for the dress compliment. I love it! I may have to re-rethink moving to Fla.

Rashan- yes hostage. I'm still not sure what happened, but her husband was on the news talking about how he'd die for her and he was about to bust up in there.

maybe I did.... I confirm or deny nothing.

Jameil said...

miami is so love!! that dress is gorg and i want to see proof of this promise fulfilled!! lmao @ spiritual moments up there! oh cuban food i miss you!!! so much!!