Saturday, February 23, 2008

So here's a thought...

Yall know I want my kids to have unique names, right? Yeah. Despite any posts that state the contrary, no names are set in stone since they have not YET been born or even conceived, despite what those think about the STRESS related pudge around my belly. STRESS! As in, "I stress to you that I am not pregnant, trust that. And if I was, I wouldn't tell you, cuz you are stressing my last nerve by asking me such a rude question, because of course the answer is no, and you have in effect called me fat. And though I have no delusions about my current weight, I have seen the older women in my family and am stressed that if I don't curb this trend now, I will be bigger than I currently am."

Woo! That was a tangent, eh? And totally off topic. The topic is baby names, and an interesting thought that popped into my wee head. What if I named my baby Barack? No, seriously. This woman a few months ago said, albeit fucking ignorantly, that she would not vote for a man named Barack because it sounds "middle eastern" (read: like a terrorist) and that she'd go for someone with a more "common" (read: white) name. But think about it. How common were the presidents' names before?

But would I just be one of many? I wonder how many pregnant women are considering this very option. Everyone knows a Malcolm (my cousin is named after Mr X and his brother is named after Miles Davis), a Martin, a freaking tupac; girls named Angela, Rosa, Josephine, Maya, possibly a Halle thrown in there... Why not a lil Barack N one day? People name their kids after presidents in the hopes that they dream big and achieve their ultimate goal. According to the all-knowing google, barack is actually "baraka" and means blessed, derived straight from the Koran. In Hebrew it is "baruch" but the meaning is still the same. Sounds about right to me. Kesi's first name means son of the handsome man, and my name means, well, duh.

So, given the hoopla, is it just too much? Or might I be one of many naming their child Barack one day?

Ps: if you haven't read my "winded over barack" VP yet, please do!
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

7 comments:

Adei von K said...

that lady is ig.

i know a denzel
and a beyonce.

so upset at the latter.

at the end of the day, you're naming your child a name that means blessed. are you really naming it after barack or just using a name that has been in existence since the beginning of time and just NOW coming to the forefront?
that's just my interpretation... of the situation

:-)

Jameil said...

tupac? no ma'am. i'm not so into the name barack but i would name my kids sasha or malia like his daughters b/c they're beautiful names! on the plus side, if you named your son that, you could call him rocky for short! that's hot!

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

I have never heard of a Tupac outside of the first one, and Barak, u for real, I do know a few of them though

La said...

...

I'd almost rather Raekwante or whatever the other name was.



ALMOST.

the joy said...

Stace- I like your interpretation...(now who else wanna eff with Hollywood court?)

Jam- I was thinking that! Lil rocky!

Torrence- really? That's cool. Its definitely growing on me since I found the meaning.

La- quiet you!

Adei von K said...

oh yeah, la brought up something.

I know a raekwon. he was my neighbor's son's friend in Tallahassee.

did i tell you i know a jodeci too? SOOOOOOO not making this up!

the joy said...

You know a jodeci? Please stop the madness! I have a friend who named her son after wanya from boyz 2 men.