Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Wrap it in a bow.

November 2, 2004.
I woke up at 7 or so AM. Now, by now you know that Joy don't do 7AM. So it had to be something. My mom and I get on a bus, then a train, then another bus, and head out on a walk to the school "closest" to the house we used to live in. Mind you, there was a school 3 blocks from our old house that we all had walked to/from in the 9 years we lived there. Was that our designated poling place? Hell naw! It was this all out the way, not bus accessible joint. Can the church say "disenfranchised"?

So as we and a couple other ladies get off the bus and prepare to walk down this street, a couple of girls my age stops and offers us a ride. Praise Jesus! Its now 830, I'm about to dig into my reserve snack already, and you want me to walk? Is voting worth all this? We'll see damn it.

We get to the school, I can't remember which one. Oak knoll I think, but that's irrelevant unless you want to google said school and are how far that joint was from the main road. There's so many people there! And I must say, besides the chicks what brung us, me, and a chick who lived down the street from me through middle/high school, I didn't see many more 20 year olds. Most of the people there were:

Women
Mom/ grandma- aged
In no shape to be standing in line for long periods of time.

The line moved fairly quickly, with different stations for each point in the process. Verification, explanation, actually voting. While in the line, my mom asked me how I planned to vote on the gay marriage resolution, which was also on the ballot. Clearly I was for it. I told her that it wasn't depleting anything in my future marriage, and that my gay friends (and family, but I left that part out of this convo with her) deserve to get married if they wanted to. We canceled each other out on that vote.

So I voted. Got my lil peach "I'm a Ga voter" sticker, and rolled out to meet my boo. It, in addition to election day, was his birthday.

We met at our favorite Chinese restaurant at the time, China Bistro. He had nasty as sesame chicken, and I had calamari. God I miss that calamari. I think that during lunch we even prayed that Kerry would win and stated that it would be the ultimate birthday present.

Well we all know how that shit turnt out.

Well this year, Feb 5 is super Tuesday. Its also my anniversary. Coincidence? Naw man. This is fate. This is America's chance to make it up to us. Don't fail me America! I need you now! Now I'm not telling you WHO to vote for, just to be an informed voter. Be a smart voter. Be a damn voter! Don't be wack. Choose your candidate! I wish I could have wrote this 2 days ago before it was to late for you to register for the primary (at least in Ga), but I was busy, and you should have been registered. If I can wake up at 7, so can you. And I'm gonna walk to my polling place this time- its only 2 blocks away this time, no busses, no trains. Come on! All I want for this anniversary is something good to come out of this country.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

5 comments:

Rashan Jamal said...

I'm registered.. Am I am old enough to have voted for the first time in 92 for Bill Clinton. I still don't know who I'm gonna vote for though, either Barack or Hillary. I'm still doing research.

Jameil said...

who are youuuuuu voting for? RASHAN IS OOOOOOOLD!!!!!!!! my first vote was for gore. what a downer after the fabulous bill c. nah mean? you already know who i'm voting for.

Adei von K said...

i can't believe you had to go thru all that to vote. that seems like a distance for your polling place.

damn, 92 homie??

i remember voting absentee in 2000. palm beach county got hosed.

So...Wise...Sista said...

Does anyone else bend to eye-level and check and then DOUBLE CHECK that you're not voting for Ralph Nader by mistake (again)? lol

the joy said...

rashan- dude. youre older than you look. rock the vote!!!!

jam- im not telling. honestly, ive decided to remain undecided until the day i go to vote. that way i can remain objective. i have narrowed it down though, i think.

stace- its crazy yall voted in 2000. yeah lauren got played on the absentee voting in 04.

wise- did YOU vote for nader??? lmao!!! i think ours was a touch screen so there was no mistaking... get a receipt.