Thursday, January 24, 2008

Voter discrimination

So if you don't know the tv at my job is on CNN all. freaking. day. I watch all the election coverage and consider myself to be an informed voter. I have been asking people I care for if they're voting and listening to their opinions while not telling them who I am voting for, because for 1 I want to really hear what they are saying, and 2 I have decided not to vote until Feb 5. You know what I mean? People are definitely casting their vote before their primary day, which makes them not listen to the people they've decided not to vote for. I just want to listen right now. Trust that the dem debates Monday made things a lil easier while simultaneously a lil harder.

Anyways, on to the point of my post. CNN had this special called "race and politics." while watching I was thinking, "I'm really flattered that the dem primaries will come down to me and my fellow black females and how we vote, but why does it seem like they are saying I'd vote for hills solely because I'm a woman? Or Barack solely because I'm black? Or that the choice is down to only those two and that there's a lil black angel on one shoulder and a lady angel on the other, telling me what to do, a la family matters or full house? Why are you pigeon holing me CNN?"

and then there was talk on the view, which I wouldn't watch if not for the voice of reason named whoopi (who would have thought?) who was thinking just what I was! Then Joy said it comes down to whether the country is more sexist or racist, which was quite the Sherri Shepard thing for her to say... And totally wrong.

So CNN took the hint and last night they asked the women of SC what they thought and whether the race or gender of the candidates affected them that way. Turns out it didn't. I'm happy the station admitted their mistake, and ok, they addressed whoopi in their apology, but Anderson Cooper may as well have said my name cuz I felt vindicated in that moment. The unchangable factors may have shaped their views, but now let's judge them on their views.

That said...

I would not vote for a man with one foot in the grave. Besides the fact that I think he's a fear mongering "bush 2: the sequel," and that he has not one good idea that I've heard of, I really don't think a 72 year old man should be my president. I love my grandma to death, but I don't want her to be the next leader of our nation. Being the pres ages you. He's had tons of surgeries. No. Just, no. I don't look McCain's age as an unchangeable factor the likes of race or gender, because every day he gets older! He could die on the campaign trail! He once (probably more than once) said, "I'll get osama if I have to follow him to hell." yeah... You're pretty much gonna have to since you'll be gone from us soon.

Does anyone else feel me on this? Seriously, I think I'm an ageist! Old people are probably pissed at me.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

10 comments:

Stephen R. said...

Brilliant post. So very true.

And if Anderson Cooper starts saying your name on the air, give me sloppy seconds!!!

Adei von K said...

i'm an ageist. i don't like guys younger than me and I'd rather do ANYTHING than visit a retirement home. i think people 65 and older should take a driving test EVERY year...

can you tell i'm from south florida?

i DEFINITELY feel you on the mccain tip. he's 72 now? in any other setting, he'd be 7 years retired. old man = old mindset to me. he remembers things that are soooooo out of our stratosphere; our parents weren't even born yet

Jameil said...

lmao @ "I love my grandma to death, but I don't want her to be the next leader of our nation." i really think most old people would even agree with that. i used to like mccain but his dogged determination toward the iraq war makes me firmly not in his camp. i don't even need to hear anything else.

shani-o said...

I got in a debate with people on fb because I asked of women who are voting for Hilary: "who taught you to hate yourself?"

I was being extra provocative, but seriously... the woman has NO policy which directly helps the majority of African Americans in this country. Just comparing their "Issues" pages on her site and Obama's is a wake-up call.

And I like old people, but... no.

Rashan Jamal said...

Old can equal experience, but as anyone who has worked with an old head can tell you, sometimes old just equals old.

I respect you for listening to everyone's opinion but making up your own mind. More people should do that instead of voting for the candidate that looks like them.

the joy said...

Stephen- thanks! I'll be sure to pass Anderson your number.

Stace- lol I'm the same way. And old people do need to take the test every year. They're as bad as teenagers.

Jam- I wonder what my grandmother would think about a man 8 years younger than her running.

Shani- she doesn't say much for women really, if we're looking at it...

Rashan- thanks. I'm really trying to make my vote count this year. Also life wisdom is one thing, running the country when you're old enough to be set in your ways is another.

the joy said...

Stephen- thanks! I'll be sure to pass Anderson your number.

Stace- lol I'm the same way. And old people do need to take the test every year. They're as bad as teenagers.

Jam- I wonder what my grandmother would think about a man 8 years younger than her running.

Shani- she doesn't say much for women really, if we're looking at it...

Rashan- thanks. I'm really trying to make my vote count this year. Also life wisdom is one thing, running the country when you're old enough to be set in your ways is another.

So...Wise...Sista said...

Ageism is an American thing, i think. I LOVE old folks. It never even occurred to me that Johnnie Mack couldnt run the country cuz he's no spring chicken...for me I think it's more about that bum arm.
*shrug*

Jameil said...

confirmation. my dad is 61. he just said why would anyone vote for a man that old?

the joy said...

Wise- HE HAS A BUM ARM? Great.
Jam- lmao! I can't believe your dad is that old. Not that that's old, but he's 13 years older than mine.