Monday, January 14, 2008

"Not always there when you call

But I'm always on time."

Ja and ashanti took liberties with scripture, but that phrase describes me.

I don't tend to pick up the phone when you call (I prefer texts) but I am ALWAYS ontime. Even to shit I don't wanna do. As much as I complained about work in December, I got PERFECT attendance. I don't want to be late. I don't want to miss anything on account of lateness, because my mind tends to wander and I will certainly miss something due to zoning out. Plus I'm short. I was so mad when I went to see kanye and I couldn't get there early enough to actually see him (it was a $5 concert). So when it comes to fun stuff, I come ontime to get a good seat.

Saturday I was supposed to meet my peoples at a restaurant for a party. Yay! So a friend was supposed to take us, but she planned on staying later than us so we took the car to the train station, despite the fact that Kesi's uncle was fixing it earlier, yada yada. Then trained it to the restaurant downtown near my job.

We were supposed to meet at 8. We were asked to wear green. Now, lemme tell you about green. Kesi has notta one green shirt. He hates it. He's a bold color kinda guy. Royal blue, true red, black, etc. His brother has a lot of green (truly and metaphorically) so he borrowed a shirt from him. Yesterday was literally the first time in my 9 years of knowing him that I have ever seen him in green. Think on that for a second.......... Moving on... Me? I have 3 green items in rotation. A green and black dress which was last worn to my friend's grandma's funeral, a Victoria's secret tunic length cami which, its warm-ish out but it aint that warm, and a forest green tee that says "yes, but not with you." and I only got that one because the colors are very Indian. Anyways, that's the one I wore, despite the fact that I'm on the fashion come-up. I could have easily looked fly-er in a different color, but you asked for green, and honestly, I don't plan on buying a green shirt when I go fashion come-up shopping. Unless its jewel toned.

Moving on (again). Kesi and I took the train and arrived at the restaurant downtown, in the middle of mart week. "Mart" is a big, big retail buyers convention, full of women. I had sent my friend a text asking him if there were any bathroom emergencies this time; he was late to his birthday party for having to go #2, lol. He said he was running late. I said "well I'LL be on time." and we were.

But he was not. In fact, we waited there til like 830, and even tried to get the seats but the place didn't do reservations, not even for large parties, and I have to say the chick I talked to was such a bitch. It took me a lot not to tell her weave-a-liscous ass off. I told her the info he gave me, and she kept giving me this "and what is this supposed to mean to me?" gesture. She wanted me to cut her, that's all that was. Apparently we weren't the only ones there from our party, but I didn't know these people, and so Kesi and I were chilling, or rather steaming. I was so hungry!

So my friend calls back and asks if we can meet him at a location not only NOT downtown, but also, in a complete other direction of our neighborhood. Which means we'd have to take the train back, get in the car, and get on the highway and meet them somewhere else. Kesi was pissed! He was already having a rough day, and had mentioned something I hadn't noticed: every time we went somewhere with this friend, he was late. Kesi was like fuck it (he basically wipes his hands of the whole thing), and I know he's serious. Though our friend offered to take us out to lunch or something, I'm sure Kesi won't be going. Woo sah.

So instead, we went to waffle house, got full (but I don't recommend the blueberry waffles, I don't know what it is but it isn't right in the texture) and watched pulp fiction. We both had never seen the whole thing, and I liked it, how everthing kind of looped around. But there was some gratuitous brandishing of the N word that I didn't appreciate. But I figured out where that "say what again!" line came from on the boondocks. Hilarious.

So I'd have to say I broke even on the day. Can't say the same for Kesi, but he was better Sunday, so. All I'm saying is, if I'm asked to be somewhere at X:00, I'll be there. Remember that.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

2 comments:

Jameil said...

What is it w/y'all and green and how do you not consider green vibrant unless its forest or that pastel? green is delightful. know what i recommend at waffle house? that'd be nothing.

the joy said...

I don't know. I'm pretty pale and I have an olive tone, so it doesn't look right on me unless its bold. I'm sure it looks nice in general, like, on others.