Sunday, August 05, 2007

Nick at night.

...makes the world seem right...

I been thinking about my childhood a lot lately. Especially last night when I couldn't sleep. I watched fresh prince until 5am then forced myself to turn off the TV.

When I was little I'd watch Nick at Night every night. I was one of those kids who didn't have to be asleep at 8 (I felt so bad for my friend in second grade when he told me he hadn't watched "home improvement" cuz he was long asleep on Wednesday nights. My mom had just increased my "bedtime" to 930 so I could watch JTT. Drool.) and so I would watch black and white TV shows until I was sleepy. I know the ins and outs of "I love Lucy," "dick van dyke" (which took place in new haven, CT), and "lassie." in the summertime I would stay up all night and watch the "Very Very" marathons and pay close attention to the production tricks and bloopers featured at the end of the shows. Its fair to say I was a night owl before I knew what that was.

I remember on Tuesdays my friend krystin and I would talk about "bewitched" like it was a brand new show. "did you see what samantha did last night?" and don't get us started on Barbra Eden and her belly button. We would play Jeanie! I mean, crossed arms, blinking, the whole nine. By this time they had moved on to the sixties and I was watching Mary Tyler Moore in color.

My mother has always said I was born in the wrong decade. I think TV-wise I'm older than her.

So last night I'm watching will smith do a blooper show, and (I know ya'll remember this) he's crying on the kitchen floor and starts breaking into the running man and the cabbage patch and screams "damn, damn, damn James... That was from 'good times,'" and I laughed out loud, by myself, at 5 am. I kind of felt like I was a kid again. I hardly laugh at sitcoms these days. The only one I watch is "my name is Earl." what the hell happened to TV? Its on but I spend the majority of the day watching music videos and cartoons. Everyone's concerned with gimmicks and trying to win the most people, but if it was true to itself, people would watch. And if they didn't its their loss.

So yeah this was basically just a lil background on Joy. Explanations as to why I do like I do, lol. These things really have manifested themselves in my life, and I think that the fond love I have for that era shows when I get the chance to dress up, and in my ideals. In a way I feel like- fully knowing that life was different than it was on TV- if we were to recall some of the ideals from that time and kept some of our knowledge from now, we'd be a better group of people. And I'd love to have a horse that talks. Who do I need to write a letter to about that?
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

3 comments:

Jameil said...

nick at night is the JUMP OFF!! but i wish they would stop w/all the full house. blech.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I'm so with you on that Joy. I wasn't allowed to stay up late and watch TV as a kid - I actually am glad my parents were strict about that.

But today's sitcoms just aren't funny - I can't remember the last time I laughed at something that wasn't on the Disney channel. I think I'm still an innocent at heart...

justmeReka said...

Sitcoms today are sooo bad. Did you see Tyler's Perrys show on TBS. Sooooooooooooo BAD. man and I got excited cause I love his movies/play.

Nick a night def. the JUMP off, especially Fresh Prince, now you know I have seen EVERY episode about 32.422 million times but why do I still laugh. and OUT LOUD.

Also "That's so Raven" loves it!