Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Phone tap

Ok, so here's the scene. I just got off work and as usual I am waiting at the train station for Kesi, who is still working. It is about 1245. I have on a pink tee and a black and white diagonal striped skirt, carrying a lime green bag with my crochet stuff in it. I tell you all this in case I come up missing, lol.

I am sitting on a bench next to a nice old man. I chose to sit here because the main benches are inhabited by ex cons. How do I know that? Well they all get in a van with an outline of the state on it, and some letters on the side which include DOC. Yeah, as the only female out here, not prone to talking to people in general, I'm gonna sit by old dude.

"scuse me miss lady." The other girl just got in her ride. "can I use your phone for a second?" I shake my head no and he goes about his biz.

I text Mo about our crazy manager and look at a few of your blogs. Check out Honey Libra who just got the "I love you." how lovely! Yay!

"ay shawty. Can I ask you for a favor?" he's still walking toward me. "Can I use your phone? Can I pay you to use it?" again, he gets the shake. Am I the only one with a phone out here? And if you have money, how bout a payphone? "people down here are rude!" he says.

"I'm not from here." you may think I'm rude, but believe this is all northern rudeness popping off here. And between 10 dudes no one has 2 quarters? Psh. Gtfoh. I attempt to text Lauren and ask her if I am just being a bitch, and she totally reads my mind. "No. I never let random people use my phone. Who's to say they won't run off w/it?"

Thank you! Not to mention mid-text another dude walks up. And while typing this, two more. Come on! Really? I'm not the type to concede given the appearance or approach of the person who asks. If I say no to one, I say no to all. Why?

1. I am a 130 lb female with no particular self defense training besides what I learned in elementary school, which was to lay on the ground and kick and scream. I kind of look the same as I did in high school, except I gained weight. All I have is a phone and a knife. I'd rather have the option of running away and calling for help than having to stab somebody. But if you run away with my phone, what choice do I have? I will not hesitate to hurt somebody if I feel threatened. And as a person not looking to get taken, I have to stand my ground. No wavering on decisions.

2. My phone is expensive. Let alone all the ish that's in it. I may be addicted, but I also hear that Atlanta is the #1 city for overtexting/emailing. If I leave my phone at home and head to work, I can't function. I find myself reaching for it and its not there. Its really deep.

3. I don't want your nasty ear prints on my phone. I HATE that! I don't know where your ear has been. And your hands? Don't get me started. I spend all day trying to avoid touching people's hands, and then someone wants to touch all on my phone? And they've probably been working labor all day too. Men have rough hands as it is. My father is an ex con, so its not even about that. I'm wary of all men that I don't know. And some I do know.

Is this a reasonable suggestion to make to a person? To ask to borrow their personal belongings? "lemme borrow your ID. Can I hold your birth control for a second?" either way you're putting me in a dangerous position.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

5 comments:

Dopelikelouboutins said...

Don't feel bad I don't even let people borrow pencils in class. . .lol

Your principles behind your reasoning make sense so No you're not being a bitch you're being honest.

GreatWhyte said...

LMAO @ "let me hold your birth control for a second." FANTASTIC point!

La said...

I didn't even THINK about all the germs. Ew!


Lmao@ "lay on the ground kicking and screaming." Loser, lol

shani-o said...

Lol... I feel ya. My response to requests like that is always, look the person dead in the eye and say, "No."

It's rather effective. I don't think people expect to be turned down flatly, so they always take off.

Adei von K said...

can i hold your birth control for a second!?!?!?!??! LOVE IT!!

I'm mad everyone wanted to use your phone... i would've made a call and stayed on it forever. that way you won't even approach me with no foolishness like, "hang up so i can use your phone". yeah right.