Wednesday, June 06, 2007

I'm grown!

People like to poke me.

Not in a sexual way, oh no. More like, say, you poke a ticklish child, or a fat kid. In the stomach, or more likely, my ribs, because one coworker I have thinks my stomach is really long maybe, and consistently pokes me above-elbow on my side, which is surely my ribs and awfully close to my breast.

I've taken to yelling out, "I'm grown!" and then asking them why they are touching me as if I am 5. For instance, my buddy, who I call Walter Lee, was stroking my hair. I'd just washed it and it was extra wavy. He's all, "ooh your hair is so soft, it smells like white girls' hair." I assume this is because I use suave strawberry shampoo? Anyway, "I'm grown Walter Lee, why are you caressing my hair?" But I can't get too mad at him because he's my friend and I really like when people play in my hair. It was just so out of the blue.

What I don't like is people presuming I'm not as old as I am. Someone I work with asked me what high school I go too. What?! Stop the madness! I'm in my mid-20s! I'm grown! And we been working together for years! Why do you think I'm class of 07?

Yes, I think I have a "baby face." I have big, high cheeks, and I don't wear make up. Sometimes I go a minute without arching my brows, and as breezy says, "that uniform does you no justice." but damn, I'm grown! I tell people I've lived in Atlanta for 12 years and they ask if I was too young to remember CT. Stop it! And sometimes my opinion is dismissed because I'm "young." Shit, I'm not naïve. Try me.

The name doesn't help, I'm sure. Joy. Its innocent and happy. Its no Veronica or Louise or Teresa. No sexy in my name. No adult or poised in my name. People see my name and think "aw!"

I wouldn't change my looks for anything. I feel like once I get 50 or so maybe I'll look 30? That's a nice thought. My dad doesn't look 46. Maybe that's why his girlfriend is younger than me, but I digress. Right now, I continue to yell.

I'M GROWN!!!
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

10 comments:

La said...

If you think Louise is sexy, you're high, lol

the joy said...

No... Louise is clearly an adult name. And Theresa is poised... They're in order of the opinion I have of each name.

Madam DLBG said...

She grown darnit...leave that girl be!!

LOL...gotta go with LA on the Luise...I was gonna question you about that. What DO YOU picture when someone says that name? I picture an old lady, bout 55, dragging on a cigarette, in a diner uniform with her knee highs rolling down and those old school white nurse shoes on her feet

the joy said...

I do too. Would you poke Louise?

Madam DLBG said...

Helllllll Naw......

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

sexy is in the mind - did i mention im hungry? - LOL

the joy said...

Madam- see? Poke Louise and see if she don't handle you. With an orthopedic shoe!

Torrance- you need to stop! I have no doubts of my sexiness. I'm a charmer. But to me, joy isn't a sexy name.

Jameil said...

lmao @you being poked all day everyday!! so freakin funny! i used to get assholes pinching my cheeks. i smacked the shit out of this one duded and he looked at me like i was crazy. no jagoff, YOU are the nut job. folk are out of their mind. trust, its not the name. jameil, you don't know if that's young or old. people just don't know how to keep their hands to themselves.

btw madam, joy and la, my aunt louise is none of those things! she is fly as hell!!!

the joy said...

Not pinched cheeks! Oh no. Ida slapped him too, some stranger touching my face! Boo!

Jam, Louise is no spring chicken.

Jameil said...

she ain't gotta be a spring chicken, she's still flyer than a lil bit. quit hatin.