Monday, June 18, 2007

Cock Blockin

Ok, not literally, but its the closest description of what this woman did.

When I'm at work, on break, I crochet. I crochet most times when my hands are free. And I usually get a lot of questions and comments, which can lead to business.

So this one lady who works in laundry comes up and starts a conversation with me. I know she did a scarf for my coworker so any question she asks would be on a professional level. She comments on my stitch size, which is tight, I know, my mother has been telling me this for some years. Then for the next 15 minutes of my break, I have to try to ignore this:

"my single stitch is like your double stitch. Its so tight. " "its probably gonna take you a month to make that. In that time I could make 4." "how much you charge? I charge 150 and make pillow cases." "where do you buy yarn? I buy the real big ones cuz its gonna take you a lot to make a king size." so on and so on.

I guess she felt this was small talk between people who have the same craft, but to me, (and the guy who was acting as my inner voice and mumbling 'who cares?') it seemed like she was trying to play herself up at my expense. I feel like she'd be the type who'd go to my client and say, "oh really, you know I charge less than her."

But on the other side, she was asking me how I switch off colors when I write people's names and stuff. In all honesty, I can't be the first to do it, even though my mom was amazed at how seamless it looked and had never tried it. But I think I'm keeping that to myself, cuz if I tell this woman's trifling self she'll be slightly closer to my level.

What's her prob? Am I thinking to hard about it? I mean, she was really going strong on the fact that she supposedly works faster and cheaper than me. And I refuse to believe a person could do a king sized blanket in one week. You'd have to not do anything else, including eat or sleep, and take that joint to the bathroom when you go. (and I don't want nobody's ishy blanket. Do you?) maybe she was feeling herself cuz I gave her a compliment on the scarf she made a year ago, but boo! Don't come over here criticizing me like you make throws in your sleep. I'm grown. I'm not about to go "wow! That's amazing!"

I do what I do and I keep it moving. There's plenty of room for both of us, but no room for haters.

Had to get that out. And I'm through.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

3 comments:

Jameil said...

chile bye. that's what you need to mentally say to her when she comes. don't. come. half. steppin! whatev homie you just keep doin what you do and shake shake shake shake shake em off. i know them haters don't like that say what? you know them haters don't like that. what's yo dj name? dj jubilee! oh my bad. i got carried away. 3 songs in one paragraph.

the joy said...

Yeah you did get carried away a bit. But I feel you.

Jameil said...

hahahaha. HATER!!!