Thursday, May 31, 2007

The top 10 songs that remind me of someone

So Lauren has inspired me. Songs are so clearly connected to memory, and when I hear a song I haven't heard in a while I end up telling a story about me and so-and-so and that funny thing that happened. So here's my top 10, in no particular order, and an honorable mention for ya!

*"Storm Is Over" -Kirk Franklin.
The summer before my 8th grade year, I went back to CT and stayed with my aunt D and her kids. Around that time, her aunt died, and she literally played this song to death. The aunt was sick, and my aunt D felt like her suffering was finally over. This song really put it into perspective for her, and I learned all the words back and forth from hearing it so much.

*"7 days" -Mary J Blige.
That same summer, "share my world" was also on heavy rotation. My cousin leese and I loved this song, and would crack up at the background singer when he sang "saturday-ay-ay." we would sing our lil faces off and laugh at the same time. I heard the song a few weeks ago and got a lil chuckle out of it.

*"Is you is" - Louis Armstrong.
If its not Louis, its Cab. I can't remember, and here's why: Jerry (of Tom and) sang it. That's where I remember hearing it. That, and my dad sang it to me, complete with the gruff vocals. My mom said he sang it to her too, lol. I may hate him right now, but its still a great memory.

*"Pale September" -fiona apple.
In case you didn't read lauren's most recent posts, or you weren't around when I wrote "voice"(archives!), then you may not know that this song personifies Lauren's and my relationship. We would listen to "tidal" every day, and sing in harmony with each other "all my armor falling down/in a pile at my feet," doing our homework and throwing stuffed animals at each other.

*"Southern girl" - incubus.
The previous song is sung by a woman about a man. This song is sung by a man about a woman. As I am not southern, I do find kesi's ways quite charming, and despite meeting all of my serious boyfriends here, he was the only one born and raised here. "you're an acception to the rules/youre a bonafide rarity/ you're all I ever wanted/ southern girl, could you want me?" sigh...

*"Fergalicious" -fergie.
Shh! None of the hating! This song reminds me of Will, who came to Ga for my birthday. One single part makes me crack up: "hi Stacey." never heard that til he pointed it out, and I died! Its the height of the song.

*"Mama" -boyz 2 men.
Cliché, yes, but would you really respect me if I told you the theme to wheel of fortune reminded me of my grandma? So hush. My mom went and saw soul food and cried at the opening credits. So how can this not remind me of her? As for grandma, the words really do it for her. I think we played this at her 75th bash.

*"Hunter" -bjork.
This song reminds me of my friend Brandi, and our high school dance teacher. Both could wear this song out. Hard. And really dance to it too.

*"dig" -incubus.
"if I turn into another/ dig me up from under what is covering/ the better part of me/ sing this song/remind me that we'll always have each other/ when everything else is gone." I have 4 people I consider my best friends: bre, breezy (B), Lauren and kesi. They are like my legs, and without them I can't stand. They definitely keep my spirit where its supposed to be, in their own unique ways.

*"Just like heaven" - the cure.
I am an 80s music fan, and it doesn't get any better than the cure. I remember during the school Olympics, I was listening to my headphones and this song came on. "show me show me show me how to do that trick," is the first line, and my first love, who was just a friend at the time, found this so funny. Ok, so, doing a trick means something different in this day and age, and he took advantage of that. So when the song pops up on my MP3 player, the intro and first line put me back in that place where I made a lyrical blunder.

Honorable mention:
*"Dick in a box" -Justin Timberlake and Andy Samberg.
Oh my god. This is the bestest non-song ever, and it was really a part of my list until I thought of another song. My friend Jason got one key part stuck in his head, "put your junk in that box," sung with such passion and talent. Funny enough, I didn't even know jay could sing before that day.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

3 comments:

Jameil said...

oooooooooooh my d*ck in a box baabay. yo. i saw the world premiere at work and FELL OUT!!!! wow. the faces the girls were making? so funny!! i LOVE the storm is over now. that song is... wow.

the joy said...

How do you manage to respond first on everybody's blog?!

SLUMP FACADE said...

Absolutely great list!!!