Saturday, May 26, 2007

Daddy

"my bones are tired, daddy
I don't get enough sleep
I don't eat as good as I could, daddy
What's that say about me?"
-jewel, "daddy"

Literally seconds ago that song popped into my head. I am smack in the middle of my "vacation," but I had to type this out at the height of my emotion.

I woke up at 730, which is hella early for me. My cousins and aunt drove here from CT, and a different set of cousins came in from SC. We got to where we were going without even knowing how. Why? My brother graduated today, and we were proud of him. There will be more on that in a big ole photo post I am planning.

But... My dad wasn't there. In fact, his phone was off. Not cut off, but turned off.

Clearly my mom got heated right away. She called, no answer. She started crabbing at point 1. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was there but couldn't find us, maybe something was wrong with his phone, etc. It is my father and I'd like to think he wouldn't miss his son's grad.

But maybe he would. And he did. Are you kidding me Fred? (please remember people who do dumb shit get called out. I would be remiss if I changed that rule just cuz you're my dad) are you fucking kidding me? People made trips cross country and you couldn't make it downtown? Give me a break. My mom said there's three reasons that are acceptable: dead, jail, hospital. But even then a call would be great. He stopped by two days ago to help us get ready for all these people but we coulda starved if he would have showed up.

Don't get me wrong. We still had a nice time. We cheered my bro on. I hate to say that my dad hasn't been the most reliable. But at least he would call. This is the most complete and utter bull. Everyone is mad at him. And with good reason.

How is that supposed to make him feel? You can't go back and redo this. My brother has worked hard to make it. Some dudes in our fam end up in jail before they can get a good education and become a decent man. He knows what he wants to be and we believe in him. Almost 30 years later my mom is still mad that my grandma didn't see her graduate. This will stick with him too.

And hopefully my dad will regret it for the rest of his life.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

2 comments:

La said...

Boooooooo! A rousing chorus of it.

shani-o said...

I'd like to harmonize with Lauren...

BOOOOOOOOOO!!! (that was the alto section)