Friday, April 27, 2007

Buy 12, get 1 free!

Griffin high had their prom last Saturday. Oh, what a prom it was.

Me: excuse me, did ya'll dudes all plan on wearing white tuxes, or was it a coincidence?

Prom kid: coincidence.

Me: wow... Ya'll look nice though.

Friends: don't lie to that boy.

Ok, lemme explain. Apparently, all the males in Griffin fancy themselves pimps. And in true pimp fashion, they wore white suits, and coordinated their vests to their date's dress. More on that later. Some wore ball caps, one wore dirty ass air forces. All had on gators. Are you joking? I sure was. I was clowning these dudes at every turn. Ev-er-ay. Turn. I swear there was a sale! Had to be. Every girl has had the fear that another would wear her dress and ruin the night. How would you like it if the majority of your class was wearing the same generic white suit and gators as you? Lookin like the playas ball.

On to the girls. Oh lawd. This was the brightest group of girls I've ever seen. Fuscia, traffic cone orange, powder blue for days, hot green, royal purple, sequined out! It was straight off the color scheme from the "freekum dress" video. Remember how I said the dudes's vests matched the chicks's outfits? Imagine the sequined gators. IMAGINE, and know I seen it. Half the dresses didn't fit right. And I can't get on a person about their weight, but I can say that if you are a big girl, do your thing, but don't let the thing hang out. We saw one girl's side boob, and another had on this chifon dress that had a split up to her neck. All in all I only saw 3 dresses I would have considered for myself or a loved one. all were black/white, and one was more of a party dress than a prom gown. And don't get me on the hair. Snatchbacks and cascading weaves galore. One girl had a crown, which can be cute, but I think it was put on during the beautician's visit.

Lastly on my list of Griffin high grievances, the stragglers. There was a literal crowd of students who didn't participate in prom, but came to the hotel to check out their friends and take pictures with them while in their street clothes. As prom ended you woulda thought there was a movie premier how they were lined up. Foolywang to the fullest. They sat at the starbucks tables and drank samples while their friends walked by in their tacky gowns and suits.

As the night went on my coworkers and I talked about our proms. How indeed fly we were and how these kids didn't get the idea of prom. It was a chance to get elegant/jazzy and really go all out. This prom was g-fab to the fullest. And at a 4star hotel no less! Mine was at the Sheraton and we worked that thing. People said I looked like I could get married in my dress. I wore it in a pageant a year later. Of course some in my class went nutty and wore a bustier and a broom skirt, but mostly we looked undeniably good. Lauren was the flyness in her red, and kesi matched me with silver accents and a taylored suit. Is it so much to ask?

Can't wait to see next week's prom. I told my brother that if he wore something foolish I'd beat him. His is in two weeks. We'll see...
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

4 comments:

Jameil said...

wow.... ignant. i'm so scared to see what the kids are wearing today but i've always been to schools w/dress codes. prom included. that means no high slits and no two-piece dresses. you WILL look like you're in high school. except your ghetto fab hair b/c there's really no way around that.

La said...

LMAOOOOOOO!!! I can only imagine. Ghetto fab is horrible, but Atlanta prom ghetto fab is just... *shakes head*



I was a bad bitch in that red dress at prom though, lol

the joy said...

Jameil, aint no dress codes down here really. As long as the goods are covered you could wear whatever your mama let you put on. Now some of these kids mamas shoulda known better than to let them out.

Oh Lauren, it was hours of entertainment. And that dress was bomb.

Adei von K said...

...

i've seen the pictures of horredous proms. i'm mad that that wasn't a phase. Thankfully, my highschool is a magnet school so the people that would come dressed in jerseys and gators go to the other schools... *ahem*

did i sound like an old white man just then?