Thursday, October 19, 2006

my liberal lifestyle

this one's for jamiel...

as some of you may know, i grew up half in bridgeport ct, and half in atlanta suburbs. this creates an interesting break in my ideals, because i think i have gotten used to my actions and opinions being viewed as a little wierd compared to that of others. jamiel went into an "i am a southerner" thing on her SOBA post and it moved me to the point where i had to respond in my own, liberal way.

i said that its more a lifestyle than a political. i'd have to say this is because of the way i was raised. i have always been able to state my opinions and respect others' however wrong i think they might be. for example, my spirituality. its a really big thing to me. but i never discounted anyone because i felt like their affiliation was wrong or forced my beliefs on them. i enjoy talking with people and gaining perspective. oddly enough, on a political note, i did leave a church because they made me feel like a pariah because i had a john kerry button. to me, liberalism is about giving people the freedom to choose their own truths. God is the judge and i feel that he will rule. but i do think scientology is the dumbest ever.

i'm not a tree hugger. or maybe i am. honestly i have no idea what that even means. lol. i'm surely a nature lover. i believe recycling is good and smart, though i dont do it much. i love to camp. my dream is to camp out on cumberland island on the beach, to be able to see the wild horses again and the ruins of the carnegie mansion.

i'm not against guns either. i'm against senseless violence and i'm therefore completely for gun control. better yet gun respect. i'm against people waving them around like a bravery flag. i saw a girl get shot on my front porch when i was 7. over complete nonsense. someone not knowing the worth of her life or the danger of the weapon in their hands. i carry a knife and i know that it would be quite a thing for me to actually use it. but i would if i had to. also, i've cut myself with one of them. ouch. i have respect for this thing i need to protect myself. i have it for no other reason.

i have an ex who hunts. i dont wanna hunt. i dont need a gun. i have no desire to shoot anything. but i'd never want an animal to die for fun. i learned from my granddaddy and my ex that you use what you kill. clothes or food. circle of life and all that. but anything i want to eat or year i can buy. i dont feel like doing it myself. i'm not that patient. but if you are, lock yourself out. i think it sucks to hang it on your wall. but that's my opinion. i wont force it on you.

they dont necessarily have to be opposites, but i dont think liberals and conservatives are alike at all. the word conservative implies that you dont want things to change. or you want them to be how they were. sorry. things are changing. and i cant stop it, so i allow it. its the way of the world. i'd have to write my blog by candle light on parchment and hand it out on the street like frederick douglass did if things hadnt been changing every day. of course things sometimes scare me: i wonder what this world will be like once i have kids. but it wont stop me or it or anything.

i'm sure there's more i could ramble on about, and i hope that this wasnt too ouch rambling. i believe i'm a liberal because i dont need a beurocracy to make my decisions. its different for everyone, and i respect it.

3 comments:

Adei von K said...

Everything you said, I completely identify with. I mean, clearly, I have a picture on Blogger with pearls and a shotgun so I'm not afraid of guns. I do care about the Earth (seemingly) more than my co-horts do (I've gone in the trash to save a can that could be recycled) so I guess I'm a tree hugger...

I'm willing to change with my world. Conservatives want things to stay the same. If it was up to most of them, slavery would still be around...just like the "good ole days". Which GOP member said that with a wink??

the joy said...

my manager and i were talking today about a man who lives in a town with alot of immigrants. he takes it upon himself to make picket signs denouncing their presence and checking local businesses for illegal employees. how sad. i bet if he opened up just a little and tried to understand their struggle, his life wouldnt revolve around trying to kick people out but maybe helping change things. he's got the power and money and doesnt wanna use it in a productive way. instead, he wants things "The way they were."

Jameil said...

why was wearing a john kerry button an issue?? that's so bizarre. camping makes me want to put myself out of my misery!!! i hate it!! but i like recycling.

i like guns. but to southerners, most of the ones w/legal ones anyway, gun safety is paramount. you don't leave guns lying around, or wave them at people you don't want to shoot. DICK CHENEY!!

i don't mind the hunting my fam does b/c they bring me the delicious meat! yum! have you ever had venison? its out of this world.

the thing that bothers me most abt the liberal/conservative thing is the emphasis on extremes. i'm much closer to a moderate. i can understand both but dogged determination toward only your ideals, whether liberal, conservative, dem or repub. is ridiculous to me.