Tuesday, July 25, 2006

the heart is like a marching band. i'm a fan in the stands.

one month and one week. it was a tuesday.

we were headed to oz, the best pizza place in atlanta, also conveniently located next to the subway station we'd need to go to to get home from school.

we'd sit at the high, bar style tables by the window. that way our bookbags could sit in the sills and not touch the floor. two cheese slices for him, one for me. and share a root beer. its possible we'd have a staring contest that day, though who won is lost in history. we're locked in a tie right now. he never wants a tie breaker, lol. this was 4 years ago mind you.

after eating and talking we'd always retreat to the coffee house section with the ugly but comfortable green chairs. in the one that faced the street, we'd sit and watch traffic until it was time for him to go. of course we'd talk and make out a little. but mostly watch people go by.

this particular day, in the quiet of the room, watching people walk and drive, i got to thinking. about how, in this one month and one week, i'd been happier than in two years with the ex who'd inevitably let me down. with the man who let me sit on his lap after every other school day, sometimes watched me fall asleep and never complained about my being too heavy or his leg cramps, i'd had the most innocent fun. nothing was ever expected of me. he just wanted me to be there.

and here we were, him staring out the picture window, oblivious, me with my head on his shoulder looking deeply at the bricks, trying so hard not to... but i did.

i started to cry. ok, like weep. but the fact is, no one ever sees me cry. no matter if we were friends for three years beforehand.

"what's wrong?" he looked so concerned.

"i'm scared."

"why?"

"i think i love you."

that's right. i quoted david cassidy. cheesy but all true.

and he just held me. he smiled a little. he wiped the tears from my eyes. i told him he didnt have to say it back. thats how i really knew i meant it. i wasnt looking for validation. just understanding. i calmed down and we stared out the window a little longer before we left. i felt a little embarrassed but very light. i almost started crying again on the bus home, as i almost did as i type this.

one month, one week, one day. he says it back. said he wanted to wait a day so it didnt seem like he was just saying it.

5 comments:

Jameil said...

i. love. this. omg i totally started crying when i realized i loved the bf more than i knew and it just became too much. it flooded me and i couldn't take it. i was breathing hard too-- hyperventilating b/c i was scared. i started quoting jill scott and floetry. i was a mess.

but this, "he wanted to wait a day so it didnt seem like he was just saying it" has me saying awwwwww like a million times. :D

La said...

Have I mentioned lately that I heart you guys? One might even say like a fat kid loves cake.

Will you people hurry up and get outta school so you can commence to making me some cute nieces and nephews?

Oh. And get married. All that shit.

the joy said...

oh yeah. songs are the worst. they get you all in deep. there was one old one where the guy keeps saying, 'youre my flower.' he started crying singing me that song.

believe me, i'd love to be in school learning so i can one day feed those impeccably cute kids. and get married. you know. whatever.

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»