Friday, January 20, 2006

i think youre smart, you sweet thing...tell me your name, i'm dying here.

A few days ago, in nostalgia over our impending four year anniversary, i was looking at photos my boyfriend and i took together. Four years. The best i've ever experienced. So why did i do that "secret tears" thing i do when i kind of do/dont want him to know i'm crying? The answer goes back to the begining. cue flashback.

Seven years ago, i'm sitting on the floor outside the chorus room with my new friend brandi(oh how time flies), when this tall, skinny boy walks by. She says hi and introduces us, and he goes on his way, off to the tv prod. room. I ask brandi his name again, and ask her if he's foreign. I think he's cute. I inquire more about his name and determine that he's middle eastern, and i like that. Of course i would find this not to be true, but he was still cute.

And here we are now, dating, loving, planning our future, and he tells me that for legal reasons- read: someone very close to him is stealing his identity-, he may have to change his name. To what, who knows. But he wont be him, not by name.

I love his name, which i will not and have not stated (kesi is his middle name). I love saying it, writing it; when people ask me what it is, i love saying it a few times until they get it right, then explaining that its a family name, and that we only know of four other people with that first name who have existed in america. It was what attracted me to him. An unusual name for an unusual man. All the other losers i dated were named jason, ronald, michael... Bland, unextraordinary names.

So i cried. I wanted him to know because i always want him to know how i feel, but i didnt because i didnt want to get in the way of something he has to do. i didnt tell him that i was and he didnt figure it out. we kind of breezed off the subject. I wanted to give my son that name. I still might. But i guess its not so much of a legacy if someone with that name makes it so you have to change it. In a way i feel like i'm overreacting, but i imagined marrying "kesi", not "billy normal-dude". Even if its in name only.

Whatever happens, i'll still love him. Maybe he could change his name every four years and it'll be like i'm dating a whole new guy! That looks just like my ex... Who had the coolest name.

7 comments:

justmeReka said...

Sweety even though he may change his name..you can still call him whatever you please..he is yours and he will always be that MAN you feel in love with. A name is just who he'll be to the outside world but you know ..HIM ..reallly..and he will always be ATLANTA to me lol

shani-o said...

Reka's right... for once, lol. Loved the title, btw.

the joy said...

the title... spent a while trying to think of a good line having to do with names, and for awhile all i could come up with was the goo goo dolls. and i really dont like this song. now i cant get the image of katie holmes jumping off a cliff out of my head.

La said...

LOL!! to Katie Holmes and cliff jumping...as she should do right now with Satan's child growing in her belly. Anyway, he will still always be Al. He's fundamentally the same person. It is unfortunate of course that he has to change his name for legal reasons but that does not mean of course that you can't still call him Al, as I will FOREVER. Or Clamson. We like that too. Either way, he will forever be the man who I trust with the one person who means most to me in the whole world, even more than myself, who has taken such good care of you for the last 4 years. And that, in and of itself, can never be contained by just a name alone.

the joy said...

and now i cry.

shani-o said...

lol!

see... there i go again... everything is all sad, and then no1 hypnosis pops up, and i'm laughing my ass off.

sorry.

the joy said...

yo son! i could untap my sexual potential! that sounds like reason a sick day to me...