Sunday, March 23, 2008

On the catwalk...

*i guess this is confession #2? The one I recently wrote brought up a lot of memories that I had forgotten about, but actually make good stories. I think I may tell the one about the guy I cheated on soon, but I will update you on my current life first. Until then, enjoy a story about one of the few people I'm aware of who didn't get caught having sex in school.*

So I was a drama dawg (that's what we were called, our mascot was the bull dog) all 4 years of high school. Besides learning how to act and memorizing technical terms, we also learned the backstage effects of theatre: set building, light design, sound design, costuming, etc. Each class I was in had about 12 kids at the most, and sometimes we were in group projects. Sometimes we weren't.

When shows were being run, everything was unlocked. I mean everything. We students had to be able to get what we needed without having our teacher follow us to wherever with a key. He'd be Mr keys all day long, and whomever was onstage (I was rarely onstage. I wasn't ambitious enough to learn a million lines, and I wasn't the most terrific singer. Plus I had a job, so I didn't stay after school much) would get nothing done. So everything was unlocked, all the time. Morning, noon and night.

Back when I was dating my ex, and for this purpose let's call him... Ken... We sometimes skipped in school if no friend's house was available to skip at. One day, in 10th grade, we got the bright idea to skip school in the theater's lobby. For the most part we and a friend sat behind the ticket booth and acted silly. Ken got the idea to teach me some self defense, and so we got up and play fought. Mean while the friend was walking around the room, just touching stuff. "hey, look." we looked over to her, and she is holding the sliding gate to the theatre concession stand open. "Shall we?" and so we climb in, and the perfect skip spot is born. Why do you need the concession stand during the day? You don't. No one was thinking to look for anyone there, and so as long as we were quiet... Soon the whole crew was in there, a few at a time. But it was kind of known that early in the morning, ken and I were in there and we were up to no good. Somebody may have lost their virginity in there, but I'm not saying who....

One day, James was in there with us, and he walked into the little middle room between the stand and the main lobby. "what's up there?" "why don't you go up and find out?" and so James climbs one of those ladders, the kind that you see on the side of billboard poles with the protective steel circles so you can't just lean back and fall off it. What's at the top? The mutha effin roof of the school! Oh its on. Smoking spot for the kids (I didn't smoke at this point) and complete privacy for me and Ken. In lieu of making the story longer, let's just say we only went up there for a few weeks cuz I got scared straight after someone tried to open the gate on the stand while I was in my drawers, and we fled to the roof and almost got stuck up there.

So that skip spot was spoiled and so was that relationship, though not at the same time.

For some reason, our theater's exits had a little congregation area before you got to the outside. One of them had a purpose: it led to the catwalk. The other had absolutely no purpose and therefore was used for storage. Its no secret that Kesi and I were a bit gropey in the begining of our relationship. Somewhere on this site is the mention of our first official date, which was spent making out in an empty movie theater while "how high" showed (when I finish labeling my almost 400 posts it'll be much easier to find, you perv). And so we would go to the storage area and get even gropier. I mean I had neck cramps during first period from tilting my head up to kiss him. And hickeys. Remember those? Remember trying to hide those? And with the combination of his big lips and my easily bruised skin, them mugs didn't go away for a week. Meanwhile whatever I gave him was gone a few minutes into the school day.

One day while a few of my friends and I slacked off during last period drama, we decided to sneak off to the catwalk. We played tag up there or something. Stood around and looked down at our class who had no idea they were being watched from above. And two of them, who shall remain nameless cuz they've been mentioned here before and I still talk to them, are totally going at it at one end of the catwalk! And you would have never expected it because they didn't act like they wanted each other before hand or after. It was just a secret between the four of us who were up there. And they were going to town. We could hear them giggling and whispering and whatnot...

So the next day, you better believe Kesi and I were up there. It took some convincing that we wouldn't get caught, and that we wouldn't fall to our deaths from the thing breaking. The good thing about the stairs that lead to the catwalk is that its in literally the darkest corner of earth. We started there and then it was easier to lure him up. I'm sure he forgot his fear of heights when we got up there. :) I don't think we went up there again but it was quite fun. Oh yes.

Trust, drama students were freaks.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

6 comments:

Rashan Jamal said...

Dang at school. I was such a lame in high school, that even if there was a spot like that I wouldn't have had anybody to go with. I might have been able to write my rhymes in peace, but that's about it.

La said...

LMFAO!!!!

the joy said...

Yes I was a mess in school. I'm lucky I didn't have a "reputation." I mean, I pretty much had a boyfriend the whole time I was in hs so I wasn't loose... I was just creative.

What? Ooh I was just reminded of something... And now we laugh together. Lmao!

shani-o said...

Whoa now!

who? said...

I wish it was something like that in my school... that would be outrageous... but sadly, no such luck... hell, the way ppl ran their mouths in my school, it'd probably be an orgy every day in the spot...

for shame on you, though, Joy... funking up a place of education and moral values... I'm shocked and appalled.

the joy said...

Shani- I know right?! Lmao I was too much.

Adonis- people ran their mouths at my school too. That's how the OTHER kids got caught. Remember though, I still got good grades and kept up my activities, so the way I see it it was a reward, lol. And its possible one of the teachers (or 2) was just as bad.