Thursday, December 20, 2007

Giving it a name

I have a headache. The right side of my forehead feels like there's a little person pulling at the muscles just under the skin. Furrowing only that brow. So the left side of my face looks kind of calm, but the right side of my face looks like Mr miagi from "karate kid." why? you ask. Because I have named my headache.

Its not a coincidence its named after the hotel. This devilish place where I work. "they got you on the schedule for Christmas." that's all she said to me, and then he ache began.

I have worked EVERY holiday since Christmas last year. Had thanksgiving off to volunteer at the shelter (remember that?). Since then I have worked Christmas, new years, my anniversary, my birthday, mlk day, summer solstice, arbor day, labor day, Columbus day, 4th of July, memorial day, guy fawkes day, and thanksgiving. I have not left town. I have only requested a handful of days off for my bro's grad, a weekend getaway that was pre empted by a friend's grandmother's death, my cousin's birth, and kesi's birthday. I came to work after 2 (TWO) funerals. I stayed late during Dragon con and every church group we've had. I am here every night closing BY MYSELF (whether the evil manager is there or not; she leaves early). They set me up for the okie doke by giving me a manager's card, making me think it was a one or two day thing, but I still have that card and no extra money to show for it. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who acts like I care. I've got shit going on in my life that no one at this job knows about cuz I'm not the type to have people pity me. I come in ontime, do my work, go home.

I have a brother in the Marines. A father I haven't so much as talked to in months. Cousins I haven't seen in years. A boyfriend who has never met this side of the family. I asked for one week off. One week so I can not go postal on these people, some of whom I have relationships with outside of work. One week, starting with Christmas, so I can see these people who I care about but never get to spend time with. One week out of the 52 I give so that people will want to come back to this place.

And so every time I think of Christmas, or work, or how unappreciated I am, I get this headache. Every thing jumbles in my brain, runs around and kicks me right behind my right eye. And it doesn't go away easily. Trying to decide if I should send my manager an email. Walk in and quit. Yell at everyone. Cry. What? What should I do? I can't keep being treated like shit. I can hope that I get this new position and that my worries are over, but can I just walk away and leave this mess for the next person to deal with?

Its no coincidence at all that this headache has the same name as this place I work.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

4 comments:

Stephen R. said...

So sorry to hear about your headache and being scheduled to work on Christmas. Wish I could do something to make it all work out. Sending lots of love to you.

Jameil said...

you need to say something. not just about the week but also about the manager card w/o manager pay and evil manager leaving when she wants. that is not your job. AND it is illegal for you to be working outside of your job title w/o pay. esp. if you're an hourly worker. i would also work on getting out of there. yes, its nice to leave the job better than you got it, but you have to preserve yourself, too. summer solstice and guy fawkes, tho? lmao! i don't even know what guy fawkes is! looked it up. hope you had some groaty pudding anyway.

the joy said...

Stephen- thanks dear. I had to get that put before I really did yell at someone.

Jameil- really? Usually I'm up on my occupational law. I'm about to give them their key back and call it a night. And by my birthday, I WILL have a new job. You know, "remember remember the 5th of November." did you see V for vendetta? I would have bu idea what it was if not for that.

Ms.Lady said...

damn babes..you REALLY need to holla at whoever is in charge of this situation *i know you like to keep ish to yourself and not complain* but it comes a time when you HAVE to open ya' mouth and state the real..a closed mouth never gets fed and its but so much of letting things roll off your back one can take...missed ya today we came by...i understand your stress so hold back those tears when you get the chance to talk to them..i love you cuz stay positive and do what you have to do *hugs*