Monday, November 26, 2007

Worst case scenario

Apparently I'm a raging optimist. Like annoyingly so. I think I've figured out why. Or at least one reason why...

So it turns out my ex isn't a deadbeat dad, as I've called him before. I must apologize for that error in my judgement, despite the fact I was led to believe he was. Turns out, his first child's mother was an irresponsible parent and got their child taken. He knows not where. But he is looking. Can't be mad at that fact.

So Barbie is telling me about their trials with trying to find her step daughter, and she said she was scared. In addition to giving her my POV as a person who grew up not knowing my brother, and blaming a parent for that (I've since stopped doing that. It doesn't matter now, life happens and blame doesn't change a thing). I also told her to imagine the worst possible outcome of things. That way whatever happens, its better than you expected.

I realized that I do that all the time! When she said she wanted to talk to me, I immediately went into a scenario that she wanted to berate me over the phone, or trick me into rekindling our friendship so she could cut me off at the knees, etc. By doing this I mentally prepared for the event. Of course, she had no ill intentions, but because I pictured her coming after me with a knife, things turned out way better than I thought! See what I mean? I even did this a few days ago, when I wrote a letter to Kesi about future plans. My worst case scenario there was that he'd not be receptive and break up with me (partly because he didn't read it til the next day, while I thought he was avoiding the subject), which of course didn't happen, praise the lawd. His reaction was so minuscule by comparison, which is more to his nature than what I pictured him doing, and everyone walks away relieved and happy.

So this keeps me saying "that wasn't so bad, was it?!" at every crazy turn, or, "its not so bad! You could be...(fill in your worst case scenario here)!"

Today I go into work fully expecting to be fired for watching "law and order SVU" while on the clock and having some man complain about the language the girl used (when she found out the detective lied to her about her boyfriends ratting her out for killing her mom). Eh, what can you do?
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

9 comments:

Jameil said...

i never look at the worst case scenario. i think i get that enough at work. i still am not too sure abt barbie. does la know her? if so, what does she think?

Adei von K said...

i'm real straight on barbie and her never ending drama.

eternal optimist? that's me! although i don't look at wcs, i just wish teh best case scen or something close to it :-)

La said...

I'm not a good person to ask for my opinion. I distrust everything that breathes.

the joy said...

Jam- I think that would be the case if I really expected the wcs to happen...

Stace- she's always been a drama magnet... Luckily I'm far enough where I can observe and report rather than be involved. I don't mind now that I see she's not constantly playing victim.

La- yes. Breathing sucks! And blows! Repeatedly!

Jameil said...

lmao@ your characterization of breathing!! yes, but la you know her, right? and have for years, yes? opinion? drop it! joy... didn't we just discuss you leaving the messy folk behind as you move forward?

the joy said...

I don't get how you get that she's messy though. To me its more relevant to me that I'm able to forgive her and be on nice terms.

Jameil said...

partly due to the fact that she feels the need to HIDE your relationship from her HUSBAND. i don't care if its b/c you used to date. this is a problem.

Jameil said...

b/c when he finds out... mess.

the joy said...

Oh, hehe... He knows. I thought I mentioned that... Hehe. Yeah she told him and he said he was uncomfortable with it, but can't stop her. So, yeah.