Monday, November 19, 2007

Some songs I love and one I don't.

Has anyone else heard the new Snoop Dogg song? "sensual seduction." its about some girl and all they do "is play in the sheets, sheets, sheeeeets." lol he is sangin! The beat is on some roller skate jam, early 90s house type stuff. Loves it.

I like Mary J's new jam too. "Fine, fine, fine, fine, hoo!" I been doing that since I saw her perform last night in that cat suit. You better wear a cat suit Mary! Do it! Lol how old is she? With her knee high boots? I am not mad at you. I don't care if The Cynic says you sound like you're yelling at someone.

What else? X is feeling me on "shawty is a tee-yen!" I have to spell it like she spelled it. I seem to enjoy songs where people are repeating something. sheets, fine, tee-yen... Let me be able to tell out something over and over, and its a hit!

I love kiss kiss. For 3 reasons. 1 Its a great song with a great video, 2 he tore up that upside down dance at the awards (I was all up in those awards last night at work. There was really nada to do. I mean, the few guests were in there watching too. Did you see Kellie Pickler's dress? Gorgeous. I'm sure its on Perez Hilton. For a country singer she's jazzy as hell. Unlike Carrie Underwood. WTF did she have on? Looks like someone glued feathers and tissue paper on her.) and the number 3 reason, in case you forgot what I was talking about due to the Jameilian paranthetical I just created, is because I have video of my lil buddy Shamarr recreating the video with his uncle. I will put it on facebook soon. (need to ask mama first. I'm not trying to throw other folks kids on the web. Remember lil beyonce?) He had us cracking up! I mean, its one thing to know the lyrics, but to not be standing in front of the tv and know when to do the moves? He is 3! Golly! We gotta get that boy an agent.

And the song I don't like.....

Its an old one, but every time I hear it I groan. I love the artist, but this one song... "at last" by Etta James. Let's break it down. Its a love song, right? Why does she break out in that sad key, dragging it out? "at last... My looove has come along..." like she just been sitting by the window in the rain waiting on this man to come save her, and he's like, "I'll get there when I get there! Damn." He's here and she still sounds pitiful. The composition is beautiful but its not at all uplifting. The lyrics. My lonely days are over, yada yada. The whole song is pretty much about how depressed she was before prince charming sauntered along. Let that shit go! It also perpetuates the rumor that she couldn't possibly be happy without this dude who just "come along." seems she needs him more than he needs her.

People dance to this at their wedding! Oh naw. Like, this is their first song. Now I know that getting married cements the fact that this person completes you. But let's be real about the song you pick as your first. I want a happy song. "For once in my life" falls under the umbrella of songs that I wouldn't use either. But at least he wrote that about his child, and not some clingy woman.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

11 comments:

Adei von K said...

i still can't believe that's snoop singing! i thought that was pharell! *singing* sensual seduction...
i love mjb's song; mad at cat suits though... that was so seven years ago.

you know how i feel abt the dream's song! "and i don't need no coke for this hen, shawty is a tee-yen AY! a tee-yen! love it!

i can see your "at last" point. that ish does draaaaaaaaaaag. i'm feeling something by mjj for our first song. i love mike

Unknown said...

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by my spot!

How can you not love At Last? I never interpreted the song as sad-sounding or dragging, it reminds me of an exhalation. As if to say, "I'm finally at peace here." That may be because IF I ever do get married, this will be my wedding song, so I'm biased.

La said...

um... I'm pretty sure you just effectively ruined our 87 year friendship. How can you NOT love At Last? It is so perfect! The music isn't depressing! It's a minor composition; it's lush. omg. I'm gonna call you and leave never ending loops of it on your vmail.

La said...

um... I'm pretty sure you just effectively ruined our 87 year friendship. How can you NOT love At Last? It is so perfect! The music isn't depressing! It's a minor composition; it's lush. omg. I'm gonna call you and leave never ending loops of it on your vmail.

the joy said...

Stace- if she wanna wear a cat suit I cannot be mad. She's in her 30-40s. She can if she can wear it. I love your rendition of that song. I'm gonna start singing coke for this hen!

La and skinny- sorry. I just don't. If it were an instrumental, I'd love it. But I'm sorry. It sounds like a dirge. I feel like she's just laying on the floor, trying to make us understand how she's in love, but she still sounds depressed.

Dopelikelouboutins said...

I'm sad I missed the awards :(

Shawty is a ten is the sheeyit lol

Kiss Kiss is cute although I'm finding myself becoming partial t Chris Brown he's like the male Ciara to me more talent in the dancing than the singing

I only heard Snoop Dogg's song once and I was thrown off by the T-Pain synthesizer so I'm gonna have to give it a go one mo gin

I LOVE MARY'S NEW SONG! Every celeb gossip blog I'm reading (crunktastical & bossip) are like I prefer the old cracked out 'My Life' MJB but I like this new direction she's going in as long as she doesn't go pop star diva on me a la Whitney in the 80s

Ms.Lady said...

you definitely caught me off guard about ms james...that song is beautiful...beautifully sung and put together **shocked look upon my face** i cant even caption on anything else...im stunned...your opinion is your opinion..i still love you...still in shock though.

the joy said...

Diamonds- woo we need to go clubbing!

Ms lady- I see I've created some tension with this song. You and la are gonna gang up on my ass and play it over and over. I mean, I didn't like it when celine or Christina sang it either.

Jameil said...

you are insanity!! lolol. i like kiss kiss. haven't heard snoop's song. things haven't been the same w/me and snoopy since he came to the vmas w/them girls on leashes. i really don't understand why i like shawty is a tee-yen. i like the mjb song, too.

So...Wise...Sista said...

Shawty is a Teeein = 25 & under hit.

I'm 30. The End. :)

(PS...*whispering in your ear*... not gonna chance La kicking MY ass BUT...I LOVE Etta and all (partic when it's hummed in my ear), but I guess I can see where you're going with it. *ducking*)

GreatWhyte said...

25 and under, my ass! I LOVE shawty is a tee-yen, and I'm 30 :) But Joy, that wasn't just Stace's rendition; he really is saying "I don't need no Coke for this Hen!" Hood, right? I know... that Snoop song is womp-worthy. Bahhhhh. Chris Brown=ooh la la. He may be 18, but I heart him :) Boo on his "This Christmas" performance, though.
Now Etta James... thou shalt bite thy tongue. I simply CANNOT imagine a more romantic song. "At laaaaaaaaaast my love has come along." She's singing about the fact that while she had a life before, it's now better than she ever dreamed because she's found the love of her life. I love it.