Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Ivy Leegue, Hoooo!

So my BFF bre, aka Brefontaine, had a show Friday night with his crew Ivy Leegue. There were some other people too but we'll get to that. I've decided to do a lil semi review of the show for all to enjoy.

First things first: as intended, kesi and I were fresh, lol. He wore black/gray jeans and a black shirt with bluto from popeye on it, and a black hoodie with his name on the back. I want a name hoodie! Anyways, as I do, I brought the color- pink ribbed tank, jeans mini skirt, my new pink and black pumas, and my Huey hat. Homegirl fresh indeed!

So this place is like, where they used to have underground raves or something. Its cool once you get in the main room but there's hella big rooms to go through first. There was an open bar though, and bre was trying to get me, and everyone drunk. And he did. And I got loud!

So the show started later than expected, maybe like 1, but it was worth the wait. First out was Joy Tolentino, and that chick can sing. She only did like 2 or 3 songs and I had never heard these particular ones before but they were hot. I loved the first one, which was about an ex that is trying to make her a victim. And she sang the hell out of it. The hell, I tell you. She's not only a great voice but she's worthy of the name Joy.

Then there was another group that performed, DIP INK, but I didn't know much about them beforehand and so I still really don't. One of the guys was doing it real kanye and even addressed the fact that he kind of looked like him I one of the songs. Funny. I liked their songs despite the fact that I can't remembber them... That's my fault- or really its the fault of the guy who tried to get me drunk and dancing... On to his part.

Loved it. The Leegue basically did the songs that had at least two of them in it- there's four members of the leegue: skuba, niko, outbreak, and Brefontaine. At least, four that rap. Anyway, fortunately that was like 10 songs, including "stunning," "get ghost," "Ego problem," "Ivy leegue theme," and "murda music," which of these particular songs is my favorite. As mentioned in my last post, Slim from 112 was there and he got on stage and gave a seal of approval, where he said they're "what's next," and sang with skuba. Can't remember the name of that song either, but I was onstage during it. Whoo! Bre just pulled me up there! I'm famous!

They had great stage presence. I knew everyone was feeling it, though I wasn't really paying attention to anyone who wasn't onstage. Everyone there knew all the words. There were some technical difficulties, like there was only one mic that was going strong so they had to switch off. It was cool cuz on "stunning" they all just kinda huddled around it on the verse where niko and bre go back and forth. It also eliminated that thing where everyone on stage is rapping a verse even if its not theirs, and so it sounds more like a singalong than a performance. There was none of that here. One mic, one voice at a time.

Had so much fun. Oh lord did I. I'm sure I'll be to every show he does. And I don't say that because he's a bestie, but because I actually think he's talented. Which is good, because I'd hate to have to tell a person they suck. Especially if I like them as a person. But I will.

Some things I wished was that they'd done "something to ride to," which has a sick ass beat. However I know the guy whose song it was wasn't there so... I also wished there were more people there. I mean it was a lot of people there but not as many as were deserved.

If you have no idea of any of the songs I'm talking about you can download most of them. They're free and worth the time. Myspace.com/ivyleegue is where they can be found. Please do it. Go now. Run!
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

7 comments:

Madam DLBG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Madam DLBG said...

OH MY GOSH!!! Talk about a small world!! my girl from the ATL knows someone out this group (Ivy Leegue)!! She turned me on to the group earlier this year. i have about six of their songs. I like them all, but now that it's summer I'm fixin' ta be bumpin "ridin' ghost"!!

**sings chorus**
now if you sittin real low and your ride is clean, and got a bad lil mama in the driver seat, and then ya, lean back and hear those sirens scream and those tires screech ...time to leave, and get ghost, time to ride ghost....

I think those are the words, lol, if not then I been singing em wrong, lol

the joy said...

Yay madam! Loves that you already know their music. That makes me so happy! They play in Fla sometimes. It is a teeny world. And those are the right words.

Jameil said...

so this means you're becoming a groupie? lol. i was such a hard core 112 fan back in the day. sigh.

the joy said...

I told his cousin we looked like groupies cuz we were right at the edge of the stage. But I prefer the term talent associate. As I do nothing particularly for the group but provide moral support. Groupies are skanky.

Adei von K said...

i want to know what a huey hat is!

word talent associate?? lolol

the joy said...

its my hat with huey from the boondocks on it. its on my myspace page. pix soon.

yes. i am a talent associate!