Sunday, November 05, 2006

commissioned

so firstly, its my kesi's birthday weekend. and my lauren is in town. but we're all in the midst of that so i wont blog about it til like tuesday. on with the post:

i crochet. not knit. knitting involves two straight needles. i use one hooked one. and i'm damn good at it.

i started when i was 9. my grandma lula taught my mom and she taught me. back in the day i'd make something then unravel it and make something else.

lately i've been making stuff for friends and family. but you gotta understand that since it takes so long to make, lately has been some years. i first made kesi a king size blanket, black and blue double stitch. with a crazy patern. hot patern. took me four months. labor of love.

i made a scarf for lauren her first winter at howard simple, red, cozy. her blanket is coming up. maybe a throw?

i made a baby blankie for my friend sheria. big enough to swaddle her cute lil daughter in. granny square grouped stitch. pink and lavender. how darling.

for me, another labor of love. a cape verdean flag. not so hard to do, just blue, white and red, then yellow stars. stars are hard man. i havent really finished because of that. my mom's supposed to show me how.

so my friend calls me last week to ask me to make her a baby blankie for her friend. she saw the other one i made and wanted to know how much i charged. wha? i got a hustle! i told her $25 because she's my girl and she talks. she'll get me some business. and then my other friend asked me about the king blanket i made and when i told him it'd be $150, he was like yeah? hell yeah! if people wanna give me money for doing something i'm damn good at, shoot... pay me!

6 comments:

Madam DLBG said...

GEt PAID!!! I'm all about hustle's!!! I'll support u!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm all about the scarf cause it's COLD up here... I saw you said that you can't comment on my blog ever since I went beta. DAMN, GINA!!!!! Can you switch too?

the joy said...

ok. i'll see if i can get beta-ized. also, i shoulda left my email address so i could take orders, lol. its Kaorijoy2002@yahoo.com fyi... i'm all about the hustle right now. i'm about to go buy some yarn in the season's colors.

Jameil said...

girl get it! let me see a sample cuz i need a new scarf too (i'm scarf obsessed.. i have 2 cable knit, 2 pashima-style wraps, and a knit scarf) and i've been in actual cold for only one winter! so funny.

Adei von K said...

awww man,this is my second time trying to post.... let's hope it works this time.

make that money! take that money! that's great that you can make money doing something you see as a hobby! and that scarf for La sounds so presh! i have one scarf. scarves are cool =)

the joy said...

i'll see about photos before the weekend is up. i'm doing a money dance. go me!