Thursday, February 02, 2006

lost in translation

I'm like a southern immigrant. I've lived in atlanta for ten years, and culturally, things dont really click for me. I realized it this week especially, when corretta scott king died. I was like, ok, god rest her soul, move on. I didnt know her or anything. But there was tv and radio coverage ALL DAY, at the king center where people came from all over to bring flowers and pay respects. People at my job wanted to go to the funeral. And i really didnt understand it. Still kind of dont.

In my mind all i can think is that its another southern thing that i dont get because northerners would only do something like that- paying respects to a symbol of this ongoing fight- just to say they did it. To yell out, "i was there too!" And i'm totally fighting that urge myself.

But there's more. Alot of things true southerners feel and do and enjoy, i dont get it sometimes. I hated young jeezy. He's starting to grow on me now, slightly. And the jig and the lean and rock? When i first saw them i thought the whole dance floor had lost their minds. The jig still looks like the martin short dance to me.

I said i'd never be a southern person, never claim ga more than ct. But in a way i feel like i'm missing something. Like the fun is going on without me. When lauren laughed at kesi's southern slang- "hellyatambout"- i was just like ok...inside joke.

Whats so great about this place? I dont miss bpt nearly as much as she does atl. i guess i better figure it out before i get left behind.

1 comment:

La said...

That's because being from Georgia is like having a very visible birthmark...everyonce can tell that you're not just from the south, you're from GEORGIA. It's like a part of your identity. It shapes you. I mean if you take me and put me in Harlem, would I really make sense? Would I still be me as you know me? Probably not. Its like a club everyone's dying to join... you can tell the authentic members because they speak the language fluently. Knowhaimeenmain?