Saturday, April 05, 2008

Life Partner

So Wednesday was national autism awareness month. On CNN I was watching a lil story on how a woman used a sperm donor and her son inherited his gene for autism. She joined a registry for people who had used donors and found a woman whose son was her son's brother and was also autistic. So the evil supervisor says, "that's just the reason why things like this are dangerous. You could end up with a retarded baby." of course I don't agree with her but that's another story for another day....

I say, "well I am blessed to have people in my life who love and care for me so I wouldn't have to go the anonymous route."

She gives me a look as I begin to ring up the next guest.

"my best friend would have my babies if I couldn't." more crazy looks. "I'd do the same for her."

The guest chimes in: "I told my best friend I would have her babies. I never had to... But I totally would have."

"See?" I turn my attention to my newfound kindred. "I call my boyfriend my boyfriend, and my best friend my life partner."

"I'm gonna call my best friend and tell her that! That's so clever!"


I say this not to say how clever I am, cuz you've been reading this blog long enough to understand that. I say this to let you know how much I love this woman who I used to call "the sister itd be impossible for me to have." and her birthday is today. And since she probably would hate me forever for doing what I did to Kesi this year -post pics of us through the years- I'm just going to leave her a list of promises to her.

I promise...
*to be your life partner for as long as you'll have me.

*to have your kids if you need a womb.

*to never steal your thunder (intentionally, and feel free to let me know when I'm inching towards the thunder).

*to keep your secrets longer than you do, especially the ones you forget about.

*to bring you the "work cookies" whenever I can.

*to try not to sleep so close to you despite the fact that I'm a cuddler, whenever we are in close quarters.

*to, speaking of sleep, wake you up when you're having nightmares and calm you down until you're asleep again.

*to pass this info on to the person you intend on sharing your life with.

*to not put you in an ugly dress at my wedding.

*to call you at midnight, or as close to it, on April 5, and tell you I love you and that you're not old.

*to only ever fight your self destruction.

*to harmonize with you.

*to take your side against your family when necessary.

*to always be honest.

*to visit you wherever you live (although TX may not be feesible if you leave too soon).

*to listen.

*to whoop ass if necessary, although you'd mostly be doing all the work.

*to get a lil upset every time Kesi calls you "Ricki" or "Silver".

*to sing tv theme songs in reference to our friendship and current events, not limited to "friends" and most recently, via text, "the love boat".

*to get that tattoo, cuz I think it took you a couple of months to make me go from "I'm never getting tattooed" to "ooh that's a good one, I'm gonna get it." damn you.

*to hug you like I'll never see you again.

*to drink with you when drinks are in order... And when they're not.

*thats all I got.... Anything you think I should promise, you let me know and I'll consider it, because I know how... interesting your suggestions can be.

I love you! Happy birthday! And now to make that phonecall.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

6 comments:

Jameil said...

yay!! happy bday la!! lmao @ you joy w/the you already know i'm clever. hilarity. who says "You could end up with a retarded baby"? is this the dirty one? yay for best friend love. too fab. also lmao @ you cuddling la.

Rashan Jamal said...

That was real cool. Got nothing else clever to say.

who? said...

So Wednesday was national autism awareness month.
Oh, Joy, the severity of this sentence...

this was a pretty clever post. I'm amazed at the cleverness, almost shocked. you've taken you're clevernessocity to the next level... sike naw, but thats quite a list, though

Jazzy said...

Awwwwwwwww...very cute.

lol @ Canon!

La said...

*sniff* :-)

the joy said...

Jam- yes that's the evil one that said something so stupid. But look what her insensitive self inspired? Its as if I feel the need to counterbalance her. I cuddle everyone. Kesi and I are usually tangled.

Rashan- lol thanks.

Cannon- can you believe no one else noticed that? Even me? Lol it was supposed to say "Wednesday started national autism awareness month." which IS correct even though wed is the 2nd. And it took me days to be this clever. I started writing it Wednesday.

Diva- thanks!

La-hug!